Do you have an idea for an e-commerce business? If so, you’re not alone! Entrepreneurs of all skill levels and all over the world are drawn to e-commerce because it offers a tremendous opportunity to build a profitable online business from scratch, without needing any experience or resources to get started. The good news is that it’s actually pretty simple to get started with an online store, as long as you can follow instructions and set aside the necessary time and resources. This guide will show you how to create an online store in 8 simple steps!
1) Choose your niche
The first step to creating an online store is to choose your niche. What types of items will you be selling? What are the top sellers on Amazon? What trends are going on right now? Once you know what you’re selling, it’s time to get started. Start by creating an account with Shopify and install their free theme, Unlimited. This theme will help you set up your store quickly and easily. Customize it to reflect your brand. Set up online payment so customers can pay for products securely using Paypal or Stripe. Next, add a few products from Amazon or other websites like Ebay and Etsy, then build out pages for each one that list all the features and details about each product. You’ll also want pages for promotions, FAQs, contact information, shipping policies and more.
2) Pick the right domain name
When it comes to online stores, the domain name is one of the most important factors. If your domain name is too long or difficult to remember, people won’t be able to find you. The same goes for if it sounds like you’re competing with another company. For example, Amazon might not want someone starting an online store called Amazon. It’s also best to avoid using numbers as these can cause problems when customers are looking for your store on Google. Make sure that you include keywords in the domain so that when people search online they can easily find you.
3) Choose your theme
In this post, we will take you through the process of creating your own killer online store. The first thing to do is figure out what kind of products you want to sell. Once you have made that decision, it’s time to get down to business and start setting up your store. It’s not complicated or expensive, but there are some steps that need to be followed carefully. We’ll walk you through the process so you can create your online store in just eight simple steps! First things first, you’ll need an ecommerce website with either WordPress, Shopify or Magento installed. Then upload your theme and content on the site before adding all of your online products with relevant information like name, description and price etc. Next off is to build a customer database with Google Sheets where people can subscribe to any email updates about their favorite products as well as receive promo codes for discount offers.
4) Pick the right e-commerce platform
Choosing an e-commerce platform can be tough, especially when you’re just starting out. There are many platforms out there, but not all of them are suited for the type of products you sell. Don’t know what to look for? Here are some things to consider:
- Determine your online product needs by asking yourself:
Do I need a shopping cart? Do I need order management software? What about inventory control? These are all important questions to ask yourself before choosing which platform is best for you. Remember that it’s always better to start with something simple and then expand if necessary. Some online stores even find it helpful to use more than one platform based on the different types of online products they offer (e.g., Amazon for online books, Shopify for online clothing). You don’t have to limit yourself to one e-commerce provider. Just make sure that whichever ones you choose are compatible with each other and will work together seamlessly as you grow your business.
5) Get your content ready
- Come up with an idea for your store. What is your niche? Who is your target market? What is the name of your store?
- Choose a domain name and create a website to share your idea with others.
- Create a logo and design themes for your site that are cohesive and consistent, but also unique enough to represent you and what you’re selling. You can get free graphics from sites like Canva or Adobe Illustrator.
- Optimize your content so it can be found on search engines like Google. Include relevant keywords throughout your site’s text and images so people who are searching for products related to yours can find them easily.
- Share it on social media! Post pictures of all the products you sell on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., while tagging other businesses that might be interested in what you’re doing too. After all, they may have customers looking for something you have. Showcasing new items through videos and blog posts will keep your followers updated as well.
- Build relationships with influencers in your niche by sending them samples of products or asking if they would be willing to take some photos of their favorite things from your store for their blog posts. The more exposure you get, the better chance of making sales.
- Network online with other business owners in your niche by joining groups on LinkedIn where people are already talking about what you do (i.e.: jewelry makers) or online communities for shoppers (i.e.: Pinterest). 8. Offer wholesale prices to other small businesses in your niche who want to offer your products on their own websites and build a loyal customer base. Promote your store on social media every day to maximize traffic. Remember: content is key when building an online presence!
6) Design your website
- Choose Your Domain Name and Website Platform
- Create Your Website Design
- Choose a Theme
- Customize the Design of Your Website
- Add Content to Your Site
- Shopify App Installation (Optional)
- Checkout Integration with Stripe or PayPal (Required)
- Google Analytics Setup
7) Get your products ready to sell
Before you can sell anything, you need to have the right products. Make sure that your products are the most desirable and affordable on the market. A few things to keep in mind when preparing your product:
-Is it in demand? Is there an over-saturation of similar items on the market? Does this item fill a need for people? What is the cost of making this product versus its retail value? Who will buy my product? Who will benefit from my product? Why should someone buy my product instead of another similar one (cost, benefits, etc.)? How does this make me feel about what I’m selling (honestly)? -Are you excited to be selling these products?
-Do you think anyone would be interested in purchasing these items?
If not, take some time to think about what might make them more appealing before starting your online store.
Also, now would be a good time to come up with some inventive ways to advertise your site so people know how they can purchase your product!
8) Start promoting it!
- Get a domain name and web hosting account
- Install WordPress on your hosting account
- Create an attractive website design
- Add content to your site
- Promote your business online with social media, search engine optimization, email marketing, etc.
- Keep up the good work and keep building the brand
- Keep your customers happy with excellent customer service
- When you’re ready, consider selling physical products like CDs or DVDs by adding them to your website store
- Sell digital goods like e-books or software downloads by linking out to another store like iTunes
- Sell services like design consultation or bookkeeping by including the services on your website
- Keep blogging about your experiences as an entrepreneur and tell your story
- Pay attention to what’s working for other people in the same industry, but don’t be afraid to be unique too!
- Continue building connections with other entrepreneurs through Twitter chats and Facebook groups
- Take time off every once in awhile to decompress from the hustle and bustle of entrepreneurship
- Remember that running your own business is hard work – so make sure to reward yourself when you need it!